As a Logistics Technician at Schwan's Company, you will be responsible for developing and executing the centralized freight management plan for the delivery of finished goods and raw materials based on freight classifications, delivery schedules, deadlines, and other requirements for multiple plants and business units within Schwan's Company.
- Analyzes transportation and distribution methods and procedures to develop the most economically advantageous, efficient, and carrier plan for delivering products based on freight rates, carrier, lanes, and delivery schedules.
- In addition to daily financial decisions must analyze logistics patterns, rates, carrier resources, and other factors to discover or create cost reducing or service enhancing opportunities and performs routine and ad hoc analysis of carrier loads rates and service.
- Communicates the cost impacts of the plans to management and work with business units to create an understanding of cost drivers and opportunities for improvement.
- Operates in both an intra- and inter-team environment where communication, cooperation, and teamwork are critical to success.
- Responsible for ensuring freight is delivered in both peak and non-peak periods.
- Primary contact for the freight service provider: distributes loads to freight providers, makes appointments for pickup and delivery locations as needed.
- Primary contract for the internal receiving and shipping points (Plants, Depots, and Distribution Centers) as well as external receiving and shipping points (Vendors and Public Refrigerated Warehouses).
- Works with internal and external customers to solve problems and address service issues.
- Ensures appropriate system functionality by understanding the data and system processes to maintain system and data integrity.
- Works to maintain system data continuity, accuracy, and standardization and participates in functionality testing of Transportation Management software modules during upgrades.
- Manages information in an advanced Transportation Management System (TMS) application and may share in guiding team activities through rotating leadership roles.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Years of Related Experience: One to three years equivalent work experience.
- Must demonstrate the ability to succeed within a team framework applying concepts of problem resolution cooperation negotiation and group consensus.
- Must demonstrate intermediate skills in the operation of a personal computer in a Windows operating environment to include Microsoft Office Suite (Word Excel Access) and Outlook.
- Must demonstrate intermediate proficiency in Excel including but not limited to the ability to create spreadsheets graphs and tables understand and modify existing tools create logical models for evaluating alternate scenarios.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally use word processor.
- Must demonstrate intermediate proficiency in gathering and utilizing data from multiple applications.
- Must be able to learn and utilize SAP Warehouse Management System (WMS) and other related systems.
- Experience with Transportation Management software or other load building software preferred.
- Must possess analytical skills to solve simple to intermediate mathematical problems.
- Must be able to interpret data and translate it into meaningful information.
- Must be self-motivated and be able to work independently.
- Demonstrated basic project management skills.
- Must demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and adapt to seasonal demands for activity and time