Sr PSM Specialist
We are hiring a Senior PSM Specialist for our facilities in Marshall, MN. These plants, producing ice cream, snacks and sauces, have significant ammonia refrigeration systems. We are committed to creating a best in class PSM program, thus we are adding this position to the team. In this role, you will report directly to the plant director, with dotted line reporting to our corporate Sr Manager of PSM. You will be able to take ownership for the Process Safety Management (PSM) program for the site, including oversight, compliance, and maintenance. You will be responsible for updating and maintaining the guidelines and elements of the PSM Program and partnering with Safety and facility maintenance and refrigeration to ensure compliance of the programs.
- Opportunity to work on exciting, strategic projects in partnership with key leaders: showcase your technical skills to create site specific PSM strategy
- Opportunities for career growth with a well-established food company; PSM, EHS or general plant leadership are a growth path options
- A culture focused on ensuring the health, safety and well-being of its employees
- Support and mentorship from team members who are authentic, good-natured and highly skilled
- Competitive wages, incentive pay, comprehensive package of benefits and relocation assistance are available
- Drives compliance with OSHA’s Process Safety Management Standard, EPA’s Chemical Accident Prevention Provision, Risk Management Plan (RMP) regulation and all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
- Consults and coaches leaders to ensure environmental, health and safety (EHS) policies/procedures and supports the EHS department to ensure OSHA and EPA compliance at all times.
- Updates, manages, coordinates and implements all fourteen (14) elements programs of the OSHA Process Safety Management standard and the additional requirements of EPA Risk Management Plan regulation.
- Assures the Facility’s Risk Management Plan is documented, updated and maintained as required. Submits updates and renewals to meet EPA’s requirements.
- Facilitates and documents the PHA/hazard evaluations both for initial PHA’s, revalidations, revisions and projects.
- Monitors and assists in training on operating procedures including annual review/certification and initial/refresher training. Assists in creating and updating operating procedures when needed as well as maintaining the operating procedure training matrix as it relates to PSM. Conducts and/or coordinates PSM/RMP training to employees and contractors.
- Provide oversight and conduct audits for site management of change (MOC) and pre-start up safety review process (PSSR)
- Assists in developing inspection, test, and preventive maintenance plans and equipment reliability programs for equipment that has ammonia.
- Leads and facilitates PSM/RMP incident investigations and root cause analyses. Updates reports and submittals as required by OSHA and EPA including RMP updates.
- Works with site leadership and EHS Department to ensure emergency planning and response procedures are developed and maintained as required. Will also support the Facility Hazmat team and may serve as a HazMat team member where applicable.
- Ensures recommendations stemming from PSM-related activities are reviewed in a timely manner by Facility Management.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Safety / Environmental / Safety Science / Engineering or related area
Years of Experience: 3-5 years related experience
- The desire to make a meaningful difference. Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently. We need someone who competes to win!
- Authentic leader: direct communicator, able to build strong relationships across the company, with all levels.
- Must have great collaboration skills, with the ability to effectively work closely with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of State/Federal EPA and OSHA compliance requirements and of regulatory requirements, procedures and legislative processes.
- Experience in PSM - Ammonia is preferred
- Experience in implementing safety programs in manufacturing and agricultural environments
- Experience in hazard evaluation techniques such as Hazard Identification (HazID), What-If, Hazard and Operability (HazOp), Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) and others as needed
- Ability to facilitate, direct and motivate employees and organize and coordinate various safety training activities
- Project management skills and critical thinking ability
- Able to use software and common Microsoft office tools to generate and track metrics, compliance obligations, workflows and action items
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan’s Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.